Banteer is a small rural village located on the Kanturk/Cork route with the population of the village and the surrounding areas is approximately 800 people. Banteer Train Station is situated on the main Kerry - Cork/Kerry - Dublin rail-line with a service every 2 hours to Mallow/Cork/Dublin and Tralee. See www.irishrail.ie for timetables. The population has been steadily increasing over the past number of years with a large number of young families now living in the area.
Over the past 30 years, the Banteer Community have been to the forefront in local development and this is evident from such projects as the building of a local community centre in the 1980s and more recently the opening of the Glen Theatre (old Banteer National School), Banteer Community Childcare and Banteer Indoor Astro Turf and Gym Facilities. Banteer Community Sportsfield Ltd. have developed the Sportsfield and Pondfield area including further recreational pitches, walks, playground facility and also an amenity park.
Banteer village has been successful in winning awards in the past, winning the National Tidy Towns Sustainable Development award 2009 and the All Ireland Pride of Place award 2007 for the Glen Theatre, National Tidy Towns Wildlife award for the Pondfield Development in 2001, AIB Better Ireland awards for the pondfiled, Glen Theatre and Banteer Community Childcare and also a Super Valu Special Endeavour Award in 2006.
- Banteer/Lyre GAA Club
- Banteer Ladies Football Club
- Banteer Camogie Club
- Wednesday Club (for Senior Citizens)
- Banteer Soccer Club
- Banteer Badminton Club
- Banteer Community Childcare (Tel 029-56727)
- Banteer Youth Club
- Banteer Community Centre, Astro Turf and Gym
- Banteer/Lyre and Districts Community Council
- Banteer Indoor Sports Facilities
- Banteer Community Council
- Banteer Tidy Towns Committee
- Banteer Community Sportsfield Ltd.
- Banteer Cycling Club
- Banteer Gymkhana Club
- Banteer Gun Club
- Banteer Trout Anglers
- Banteer Pondfield & Playground
- Glen Theatre
- Dr. Pat O'Callaghan Monument (at entrance to Sportsfield)
- Banteer Indoor Astro Turf and Gym (Tel 086-0385881)
- Glen River fishing
- Mount Hilary Walks
- Glen Theatre
|IRD Duhallow Representatives: