A small repair service for persons over the age of 65 in the Duhallow region
IRD Duhallow in conjunction with Age Action Ireland provides a small repair service to persons over the age of 65 in the Duhallow region. This service provided by Duhallow Care & Repair Programme is carried out by trustworthy volunteers and is provided free of charge. The client only pays for the material used. For jobs that require a personal tradesperson, such as electrical or plumbing work, a database of reliable trade’s people is kept to refer clients requiring this service.
Duhallow Care & Repair aims to:
- Reduce isolation
- Undertake ‘odd-jobs’ in the home
- Provide Trade Referrals & Quote checks
- Increase safety in the home
- Provide responses to issues of concerns
- Provide information and referral to supports
- Provide social interaction for older people and isolated vulnerable people living alone in the region.
- Increase older peoples feeling of safety and sufficiently in their own home
The care & repair programme also provides a regular friendly phone call service for elderly people who do not have frequent contact with a relative or a friend. The purpose of this service is for older people to receive a weekly or a daily phone call from a volunteer to check in with them to ensure that they are safe and well as well as having a friendly chat. The volunteer will also give them information on services and activities that they can avail of in the locality. We are always looking for new volunteers for this service.