The Glen Theatre is a community owned, community developed and community run theatre
The Glen Theatre, which is situated in the heart of the Duhallow region, is a community owned, community developed and community run theatre. In the mid 90’s a locally formed Committee decided to purchase the old derelict, Banteer National School building, which was originally built in 1841. The building had ceased to be used as a school in 1975 and was in fact used as a cow shed by a local farmer until 1994 when the committee purchased the facility at a cost of €25,000. With assistance from IRD Duhallow and LEADER funding the local committee undertook the mammoth task of restoring the building. The renovation work was carried out in the style suitable to the old building, restoring the original work of the walls, repairing the roof using original old slates and using the original old floorboards to construct the stage in the theatre.
The venue can house up to 130 people with seating for 110 people and is used extensively for live music events and other family entertainment shows as well as local community and voluntary groups such as Banteer Drama Group who have performed many well known plays over the last number of years including ‘The Field’ and ‘Juno and the Paycock’. They also facilitate weekly children’s drama classes. The Glen Theatre over the years has played host to many Irish Artists such as Don Baker, Philip Donnelly, Irish Weavers, Eleanor McEvoy, Mick Hanly and many more. The venue has shown itself to be a major asset to the Banteer community and with all the major expenditure paid for, the project is highly sustainable as a community asset for use and enjoyment of all for the future years to come.
For more information please visit: www.glentheatre.ie