18th September 2017
6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
James O Keeffe Institute
Places remaining: 8
There are a limited number of Free places on most courses available for those in receipt of a welfare payment. Eligibility Criteria
Terms & Conditions - Click Here
Course Name: Palliative Care
Start Date: 18th September
Time: 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Duration: 10 Monday Nights
Venue: James O’Keeffe Institute, Newmarket, Co. Cork
Tuition Fee: €200
Accreditation: QQI Level 5 (5N3769)
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skills and competence to enable them to care for and address the needs of a person and their family after the diagnosis of a life-limiting illness, in a dignified, inclusive and holistic manner.
Learners will be able to:
1. Discuss the philosophy and principles of palliative care.
2. Summarise the structure and organisation of palliative care services.
3. Discuss the role of the support worker in the promotion of key issues such as life quality, self-esteem, respect, privacy and dignity in palliative care work.
4. Explore different attitudes to death and dying to include an understanding of individual patterns of grief, bereavement and loss.
5. Employ a range of communication strategies and processes which are central to the work in palliative care.
6. Apply a person-centred approach to caring for a person in the last days of their life.
7. Respond appropriately to the needs of the person who is confused in the last days of life.
8. Work effectively and with great sensitivity in relation to the dying person and their significant others in palliative care setting.
9. Use the range of skills required from a palliative support worker in relation to end of life care.
Learner Record 70% Assignment 30%