Safety & Health at Work QQI Level 5
16th October 2019
James O’Keeffe Institute, Newmarket
Course Name: Safety & Health at Work QQI Level 5
Date: Wednesday 16th October
Duration: 10 Nights
Venue: James O’Keeffe Institute, Newmarket
Accreditation: Minor QQI Level 5
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to promote and maintain safety and health in a work environment. It is a compulsory minor award module to become a Healthcare Support Worker.
- Analyse the duties of employers and employees as specified in current Safety, Health and Welfare at work legislation.
- Examine the role of the Health and Safety Authority.
- Explore the role of communication and training in the promotion and provision of health and safety in the workplace.
- Comment on the elements and functions of the safety statement.
- Summarise the factors which contribute to safe and healthy working environments
- Outline the principles and procedures of good housekeeping in the workplace.
- Explain the causes, prevention, emergency procedures, reporting and recording of accidents and dangerous occurrences.
- Analyse the causes and prevention of fire related events to include identification of emergency procedures, the fire triangle and fire equipment.
- Comment on specific hazards and risks when working with equipment to include mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Investigate how personal protective equipment (PPE) is used in the workplace.
- Explore appropriate procedures for use and disposal of hazardous materials and waste in the workplace to include reference to material safety data sheets (MSDS).
- Examine the control and associated risks of a range of health and safety issues to include noise, sound, fumes, dust or any vocationally specific work issue.
- Explain the typical contents of a first aid kit and their appropriate use.
- Examine a range of issues related to infection control to include conditions for the growth and development of micro-organisms, routes of infection, symptoms, ill-health, preventative measures and emergency procedures for suspected contamination.
- Investigate risk factors in relation to safety to include hazards, work environments, work practices, effects of medication, drink and drugs.
- Interpret a range of safety signs in the workplace.
- Promote safe and healthy working practices in relation to oneself, others and the workplace.
- Outline risk factors in relation to health to include stress, lifestyle, diet, illness
- Outline the role of diet and exercise in the promotion of good health.
- Assignment- 60%
- Examination – Theory 40%
For further information & booking please contact Jacinta on 029-60633 or email [email protected]
This project is part supported by the Irish Government and the European Social Fund (ESF) Fund 2014-2020 as part of the Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning (PEIL) 2014-2020.