Palliative Care Support
12th November 2019
James O Keeffe Institute
Places remaining: 17
Cost: €€10.00 (Plus booking fee)
Course Name: Palliative Care
Start Date: 12th November
Time: 6.30pm – 9.30pm
Duration: 10 Tuesday Nights
Venue: James O’Keeffe Institute, Newmarket, Co. Cork
Tuition Fee: €10
Accreditation: QQI Level 5 (5N3769)
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skills and competence to enable them to care for and address the needs of a person and their family after the diagnosis of a life-limiting illness, in a dignified, inclusive and holistic manner.
Who’s it for:
The course is for Family & Voluntary Carers
Learners will be able to:
- Discuss the philosophy and principles of palliative care.
- Summarise the structure and organisation of palliative care services.
- Discuss the role of the support worker in the promotion of key issues such as life quality, self-esteem, respect, privacy and dignity in palliative care work.
- Explore different attitudes to death and dying to include an understanding of individual patterns of grief, bereavement and loss.
- Employ a range of communication strategies and processes which are central to the work in palliative care.
- Apply a person-centred approach to caring for a person in the last days of their life.
- Respond appropriately to the needs of the person who is confused in the last days of life.
- Work effectively and with great sensitivity in relation to the dying person and their significant others in palliative care setting.
- Use the range of skills required from a palliative support worker in relation to end of life care.
Learner Record 70% Assignment 30%