Firmount is a small rural village in South Eastern Duhallow. It is about 10 miles from Mallow and Macroom and is about 15 miles from Kanturk. The village has a shop, school, social centre and also a Dairygold store. The old school was built in the 1800s and is now home to the Firmount Social Centre. The new school was built in 1984. The Social Centre serves as a meeting place for clubs and was the centre for local playgroup until it moved to a new purpose built building over the bridge in the townland of Fortnaught in 2009.
The local shop was once the station for the Muskerry to Cork Tram which ran from May 1892 to January 1934. This was known locally as the Hook-Eye. There once was court facilities in the village. The local church St. Josephs is the old style cruciform building built in 1842.
– Tai-Chi Dance for older people
– Hurling and Football Club for National School Children
– Art Classes
– Flower & Garden Club
– St. Josephs Church
– Blarney Castle is just ten miles away
– Shournagh River (flows through the village)